The Cherokee Removal Memorial Park at Historic Blythe Ferry includes a History Wall and a Memorial Wall, walking trails and the Removal Routes Ampitheatre, all dedicated to the Native Americans who were forcibly removed from their homelands in the 1830’s. The 29-Acre Park is located in Meigs County, Tennessee.
Writer Shirley Hoskins describes the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park in detail in a piece published by Tennessee River Valley Geotourism. She writes about Blythe Ferry:
“William Blyth was granted authorization to operate a ferry 1809 at the confluence of the Hiwassee and Tennessee Rivers. During the Cherokee Removal nine of the thirteen detachment under the supervision of Chief Ross exited their ancestral land at Blythe Ferry which was located in the northwest corner of the Cherokee Nation. Water levels were very low due to a severe drought forcing some of them to camp there for up to six weeks waiting to cross the Tennessee River into an uncertain future. William Blythe went west with his Cherokee wife. A ferry continued to operate at the site until 1994 when the highway 60 bridge was built. Currently the ferry ramp is used for boat launching and fishing. Future plans include a combination fishing pier and boat dock as well as picnic tables and a shoreline nature trail.”